convos with a prego lady
Truth: pregnancy has made me rather cynical. I try to keep it hidden most of the time (and usually David is the one who bears the brunt of my pent-up sass. He is a champion). I'm not sure why cynicism is a current symptom I am experiencing. It may be due to the fact that I recently read a quote that opened my eyes to all of the nonsensical things people say to fill up space. Here it is, for your own personal enjoyment:
In all honesty, however, I think my pent-up sass is the result of the many little freak out moments I have on a day-to-day basis. Yes, this pregnancy has been relatively easy from a health standpoint. But it is also one of the scariest things I have ever undertaken. The fear, of course, comes in part from the unknown. But I think it also comes from the fact that pregnancy is so often portrayed as a rosy, cheerful time in which women glow (what does that even mean, anyways? If it's referring to the extra sheen my oily glands are giving me, then I think I understand). And I have yet to bask in that aura of pregnant bliss.
I read an interesting article in the New York Times about depression and pregnancy. While I don't think I currently have depression and anxiety, I thought this article was eyeopening on how stressful pregnancy is. This quote in particular resonated with me:
David keeps reminding me that God is sending this child to us at this particular time for a reason, and that he will help us make everything work out. Most days I can hold onto that promise—it's my security blanket, and it gives me comfort. But other times I forget and start to panic. It's an emotional rollercoaster that involves lots of prayer (and lots of chocolate chips).
It also doesn't help that I feel like there are so many expectations and assumptions as to how I should handle things or act. I think that's where the sass comes in—it's my coping mechanism behind closed doors (although this post is a rather public display of my sass—I suppose you could say I opened a window and am now airing out my concerns).
Long story short, I'm still getting used to this pregnancy and motherhood thing. And I think it's okay for me to admit that I'm scared (and even if it's not okay, I've admitted it. Plus, I think more people should be comfortable sharing their feelings and concerns. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only pregnant person to feel this way. And if I am, so be it. I don't mind being the president and sole member of the "Sassy and Pregnant" club). One of these days, I'll figure out how to properly deal with all of these prego emotions and conversations. Until then, forgive my sass. For now, it's my version of a glow.
"Yesterday at church, a lady took me aside with the express purpose to tell me, 'Don't feel bad. When God closes a door, he opens a window.'"
Melissa choked on some pita bread.
"I kid you not. What the heck does that mean anyway? That I'm supposed to climb out a window now? Or is the window just to air out the house, which is stinking to high heaven, given the fact that the door has been shut indefinitely and NO ONE CAN GET OUT?!"
—Shannon Hale, The Actor and the Housewife (2009).After laughing out loud, I started to think of all of the things I've heard recently that just don't make sense. Or that drive me nuts (because they don't make sense. Or because they make assumptions that makes my hair curl (or straighten—it can't decide what it wants to be these days)). Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive (likely true. Curse you, hormones). Or maybe I'm just under a lot of positive stress (babies and bar exams and new jobs are all good things. But they are all stressful things, too). Or maybe I'm just nuts. But in any event, I hope you'll laugh with me.
Me: "Oh hey. Long time no see. Yes, I am fatter than when we last talked. Didn't you know? I'm pregnant. Due in the middle of November."Some conversations go like that. Others go like this:
Q: "How are you? Have you been sick?"
Me: "No, I threw up once due to motion sickness. The other time was because I gagged on my own snot (it's a long story). But no, I haven't had any morning sickness.
Q: "That's so unfair! You should have lots of children!"
Me: Speechless. [Wait, you're telling me that "because a woman has super easy pregnancies, she should have lots of children"? That doesn't make any sense! What if a teenage girl who got pregnant out of wedlock had a super easy pregnancy? Would you tell her to have a boatload of children because she didn't have any morning sickness? Or what about a mother who already has a colony of children, doesn't get sick in her pregnancies, and is pregnant again? Would you say the same thing to her? Or congratulate her on populating the earth sans morning sickness? I'm guessing not. But based on your statement, I'm pretty sure the same logic should apply.]Or this:
Q: "Was it an accident?"
Me: "No, it wasn't an accident. But next time we have a family planning session you're welcome to come. Tickets are $5.00." [Why do people ask this question? Why? Is it any of your business? No! End of story. But if you really want to know (since I know you do), David and I felt very strongly that we should start trying to conceive despite all of the crazy life changes that are happening this year. So we did the deed. And when we got a positive pregnancy test as soon as we did, we were super grateful (shocked, but grateful) because both of us had previously been told by multiple doctors that we would likely struggle with infertility. Who knows what will happen with subsequent pregnancies? What we do know is that with our health histories, this pregnancy is a miracle. And we are holding onto that.]And inevitably this comes up:
Q: "So, what are you going to do about your job?"
Me: "So what's David going to do about his job? We're both affected by this growing creature, you know." [The assumption that I am the only one that is going to have to sacrifice and give up things is driving me nuts. David and I are a team, and we are both going to have to sacrifice to make this work. Otherwise I will end up in a straightjacket.]So does this:
Q: "Are you going to breastfeed? Potty train at the age of 2? Have your baby watch Baby Einstein?"
Me: "Sure?" [I haven't even met this child. I've only heard its heart beat (and it sounds like a stethoscope was held up to a hummingbird's wings). And because I have no idea what babies are like or what this baby is like, I honestly don't know exactly how we will keep it alive or raise it. We're taking it one day at a time.]That is probably enough sass for one day. Subsequent posts are coming, I'm sure. Although it hasn't happened to me yet, I am anticipating a post on strangers who comment on pregnant women's bodies. Just know that the person who comes up to me at the grocery store and touches my burgeoning belly will receive no mercy. I have ninja like reflexes. And I'm not afraid to use them.
In all honesty, however, I think my pent-up sass is the result of the many little freak out moments I have on a day-to-day basis. Yes, this pregnancy has been relatively easy from a health standpoint. But it is also one of the scariest things I have ever undertaken. The fear, of course, comes in part from the unknown. But I think it also comes from the fact that pregnancy is so often portrayed as a rosy, cheerful time in which women glow (what does that even mean, anyways? If it's referring to the extra sheen my oily glands are giving me, then I think I understand). And I have yet to bask in that aura of pregnant bliss.
I read an interesting article in the New York Times about depression and pregnancy. While I don't think I currently have depression and anxiety, I thought this article was eyeopening on how stressful pregnancy is. This quote in particular resonated with me:
We still have retrograde ideas about how pregnant women should feel, and we need to revise them—not only for depressed women but for all women. Pregnancy is portrayed and talked about almost exclusively as a time of rapture and fulfillment. But it involves a major shift in identity, a whole new conception of self that can lead to depression and anxiety. Change—even positive change—is stressful, and in this way pregnancy can constitute a kind of elective trauma. An abrupt transition into selflessness is not immediately appealing to everyone. Pregnant women long given to self-doubt may question their ability to take care of the child. A society that glorifies motherhood while resisting basic accommodations like guaranteed extended maternity leave makes the identity shift more frightening and abrupt than it needs to be. People given to anxiety now have a harrowing array of new anxieties to grapple with. As one woman I interviewed observed, “The things that make motherhood joyful also make it terrifying.” We should strive for a more pluralistic idea of pregnancy—for one that accommodates a wide range of moods and attitudes.I hope I don't seem ungrateful by saying that pregnancy is emotionally difficult and that the future scares me. I feel guilty for complaining, especially where I have friends who have had harder and more challenging pregnancies than I have experienced thus far. Maybe I should just put on a brave face and pretend to glow. But that doesn't feel real. As excited as I am for this baby to come, I can't help but admit that I am scared. While I welcome this change in my identity, at the same time, I am worried about the transition. It doesn't help that I am guaranteed little (if any) maternity leave to adjust into my new skin. I know my limitations—that I am very selfish with my time and sleep—and knowing that I am going to have to stretch and grow and become something more than I think I can be is overwhelming.
David keeps reminding me that God is sending this child to us at this particular time for a reason, and that he will help us make everything work out. Most days I can hold onto that promise—it's my security blanket, and it gives me comfort. But other times I forget and start to panic. It's an emotional rollercoaster that involves lots of prayer (and lots of chocolate chips).
It also doesn't help that I feel like there are so many expectations and assumptions as to how I should handle things or act. I think that's where the sass comes in—it's my coping mechanism behind closed doors (although this post is a rather public display of my sass—I suppose you could say I opened a window and am now airing out my concerns).
Long story short, I'm still getting used to this pregnancy and motherhood thing. And I think it's okay for me to admit that I'm scared (and even if it's not okay, I've admitted it. Plus, I think more people should be comfortable sharing their feelings and concerns. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only pregnant person to feel this way. And if I am, so be it. I don't mind being the president and sole member of the "Sassy and Pregnant" club). One of these days, I'll figure out how to properly deal with all of these prego emotions and conversations. Until then, forgive my sass. For now, it's my version of a glow.
K I feel like we just need to talk sometime. :) You're awesome. I'll be honest... I hated being pregnant, I was terrified of the unknown, the "maternal instinct" and whatever that apparently makes it so you just see everything through rose colored glasses didn't happen with me...
ReplyDeleteIt's been the most interesting (and insanely hard) thing... our lives are so insanely hard right now (we're both trying to finish our theses so we can defend in the next month, both working, and taking care of a really hard child), but it's been quite miraculous to see how it all ends up working out. I'm more tired than I've ever even though humanly possible, my house is a wreck some days, and days that I put on makeup or do my hair are few and far between... BUT, the Lord puts these little babies in our lives at just the right time...and nope, it wasn't an accident for us either. Lincoln makes it so hard and he makes it 100% worth it. It's weird.
And, while I don't feel like I'm a natural at motherhood and it's going to take lots of convincing for me to have ANY more children, let alone single-handedly replenish the earth, I am growing and being stretched in ways I never realized I needed... although the growing and stretching of my own body was not something I bargained would hang around for this long...but you know... :)
Thanks, Lindsay! And yes, we definitely need to talk. I really admire you and Bryan for juggling everything that you have going on—I hope everything is going well as you prepare for your theses defenses! But I'm glad to hear a little about your experience and that babies come at the right time, it all works out, and it is all worth it (despite all the growing and stretching :)). Thank you for sharing—I appreciate it.
DeleteCan I be in the sassy and pregnant group even if I'm not pregnant? It just sounds really fun, especially with you there.
ReplyDeletePart of what I'm the most scared of pregnancy is expectations. I need to read that Time article because I wholeheartedly support evolving expectations (or a total demolition of, honestly).
Looking forward to more of these posts, just because they're from you and I love you. :)
Of course! I think a plain old sassy group would be even better than a "sassy and pregnant" club (because let's be honest—as fun as labor and breastfeeding stories are to hear, I don't mind variety in conversation).
DeleteAnd let's demolish the expectations! (for moms and for dads—there's a whole lot more that I could say about dads—haha, that might come out in a future post, but we'll see).
And thank you—you're the best :)
"abrupt transition into selflessness" - this is a perfect description of becoming a parent. I loved this post. People said a lot of stuff when we were starting our family, but most of it was either useless or plain untrue. You will figure out what works for you. Life with a little one is wonderful and difficult. Congratulations! If you want to talk about being a mommy, I'm sure Kayla would love to chat.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Zeke. I appreciate your perspective. And I love seeing everything you and Kayla post about Nadia—I'm so happy for you guys and hope that everything is going well in California.
DeleteI was just thinking about you the other day! I love this post. Honesty is desperately missing from all of those crazy baby books. Also I love your sass. I'm sure I've heard sass is good for the baby; makes 'em strong.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Jess. You. Got. This. And when you feel like you don't, remember that you've got us - a huge whole slew of friends and family <3
Love you, Kayla! I appreciate you and look up to you so much. I'm so lucky to have you as part of my safety net—you're the best :).
DeleteAnd yes, the pregnancy books are a little useless in the honesty department (also, what's with all the fruit comparisons? As another friend of mind pointed out, are they comparing the baby's length to the fruit? Or volume? Weight? Approximate shape when it's squished up against my other organs? So many different types of measurements to take into account!).
Loved this post and all the other ones you write :). It's totally okay to be sassy, you go girl! Did I ever mention to you that I struggled with depression and anxiety with Annie? Well, I did...still do sometimes postpartum. It was a first time for me to ever feel what depression feels like for people who struggle with it everyday.
ReplyDeleteWith each of my pregnancies I always struggled with accepting that the pregnancy would work out...due to an experience we had with miscarrying. Kate and Jane's pregnancy was fine, still would get nervous somedays but never full on depressed or anxious. Annie was a hard one. I think it was a combination of my miscarriage fears + the stress of two toddlers. One day I just snapped and went into a dark mood. Nothing made me happy. No amount of sunlight, or spiritual talks/music would make it go away. Finally talked to my OB about it and got some advice and helpful tips to try (didn't have to go on meds, but I was open to it if she felt I needed to). I found Yoga, journal writing, and VERY open communication with some family members...most especially Greg helped me.
I hope that you don't end up going down that road but if you find yourself heading there, remember that we all love and care about you and just keep being open about your feelings and concerns...don't let them pent up :). Oh and go do some "down dog" or "sun salutation" poses ;). I found that when I opened up to some friends about what I was experiencing, that it was actually fairly common amongst lots of pregnant women, and I felt supported in that...It wasn't just me....I wasn't doing something wrong :).
Anyway, sorry for my ridiculously long comment! I think you are amazing, and that you and David will be amazing parents! You'll figure things out and see what works, just like we all have!
Thanks, Rachel! I admire you so much. I'm sorry about your prior miscarriage. I had no idea that you had depression and anxiety with Annie (but it totally makes sense—for my final law school paper, I did a little research on women who suffered PTSD after having a miscarriage and/or dealing with infertility—although I've never experienced that type of loss, I can see how hard that would be to deal with in later pregnancies). But I really appreciate and admire your openness about it—thank you for sharing. And thank you for sharing ideas on how to combat dark days, should they ever arise (and if anything, those are things I should do anyways—I'm awful at keeping a regular journal :)).
DeleteAnd thanks for being so great all around! David and I really look up to you and Greg—you guys are the best! :)