time flies
Two years ago, this fella stepped off of an airplane.
We shook hands (as all casual acquaintances do after 735 days of not seeing each other), and even stopped to take a victorious group picture, Argentinian flags and all.
We exchanged an awkward hug later that evening . . .
. . . and had lots of awkward conversations in the weeks to come. We even finished a chess match to settle our differences (he won).*
I got over it (eventually) and decided that we should still be friends.
I finally stopped talking to gnomes (as often),** and went on adventures with my re-found best friend instead.
Someday we'll buy a house with a picket fence. But for now, I'm just grateful that I have a friend who is up for a sometimes crazy ride (which is why he usually drives).
Despite the craziness, I'm glad that (most days) we can say we've reached our happily ever after.
The End.
*David and I mailed a piece of paper with a penciled-in chess set drawn on it back and forth to each other for two years. We finished the game the week he got home.
**Long story short, I collected garden gnomes while David was on his mission. And no, I still have yet to see Amelie.
We shook hands (as all casual acquaintances do after 735 days of not seeing each other), and even stopped to take a victorious group picture, Argentinian flags and all.
We exchanged an awkward hug later that evening . . .
. . . and had lots of awkward conversations in the weeks to come. We even finished a chess match to settle our differences (he won).*
I got over it (eventually) and decided that we should still be friends.
I finally stopped talking to gnomes (as often),** and went on adventures with my re-found best friend instead.
Someday we'll buy a house with a picket fence. But for now, I'm just grateful that I have a friend who is up for a sometimes crazy ride (which is why he usually drives).
Despite the craziness, I'm glad that (most days) we can say we've reached our happily ever after.
The End.
*David and I mailed a piece of paper with a penciled-in chess set drawn on it back and forth to each other for two years. We finished the game the week he got home.
**Long story short, I collected garden gnomes while David was on his mission. And no, I still have yet to see Amelie.







Love it. :) :) :) :)
ReplyDeleteBryan came home from his mission 3 years ago TODAY. Time really does fly!
On the 15th I said "Bryan, you left on your mission 5 years ago. Does that make you feel old?" He said "Holy cow. Yes. Don't talk about it." Ha ha
That's crazy they came home the same day a year apart! I had forgotten that detail :). Haha, and I will do my best to not remind Bryan how old he is . . . :).
Delete