expecto patrosam
In my blogging absence, I have been working, law reviewing, eating, sleeping, and taking care of the other essentials of life. You know, like reading Harry Potter. That's right, friends. The past six weeks have been spent rereading the entire series. And it has been most joyous.
[As a side note, I think I've completely lost all credibility with some lawyers who think that as an English major I must constantly be reading Chaucer and Elliot and Hardy and all of those other highfalutin folks. When they ask me what I like to read, I tell them I have a love affair with young adult literature. They cough up their sushi or whatever it is they are eating (and that I am trying to gag down) and act as if I have some sort of intellectual plague. I thought I could redeem myself by giving them a thirty second comparative analysis of Twilight and Wuthering Heights, but alas, it was too late. It's a shame, really, because I've read some wonderfully written books the past couple of weeks (like We Were Liars by E. Lockhart and Dangerous by Shannon Hale). Sniff. Maybe someday they will come around.]
For some reason, patronuses really stood out to me this time around reading Harry Potter. So I started thinking about what my patronus would be (sans taking a BuzzFeed quiz), as well as what David's would be. I asked David, and without blinking he said:
And as far as my patronus being a hobbit, I'm all right with that. As long as I can change the spell incantation to Expecto patrosam! It would be the most loyal patronus ever.
But really, I think my patronus would be a Jack Russell Terrier or a fox. Ron Weasley would be proud.
For some reason, patronuses really stood out to me this time around reading Harry Potter. So I started thinking about what my patronus would be (sans taking a BuzzFeed quiz), as well as what David's would be. I asked David, and without blinking he said:
My patronus is a three-legged zebra. Oh, and he has a skin-condition, so he's not really striped but more on the scabby side. And your patronus would be a hobbit.I don't know about you, but that zebra sounds like it would be more like a pet to the dementors than a beacon of light. Not to mention the fact that it wouldn't be much use in an emergency--at least, I'm having a difficult time imagining it galloping towards the dementors to chase them away. It can hobble, yes, but I'm afraid it won't be much use in stopping a soul-sucking kiss.
And as far as my patronus being a hobbit, I'm all right with that. As long as I can change the spell incantation to Expecto patrosam! It would be the most loyal patronus ever.
But really, I think my patronus would be a Jack Russell Terrier or a fox. Ron Weasley would be proud.

I think I will be found rereading the Harry Potter series (in binge-reading sessions of course- there's no other way) until I'm 110 or until I die. Whichever comes first. :) I absolutely love it.
ReplyDelete