faceless

to whomever may be disgruntled:

Yes, I am one of you, a fact which I feel gives me the right to rant. And yet, I shouldn't complain. No one ever truly has the right to complain because there is always someone out there who's situation is worse. Always. Without fail. So instead of complaining about the angry people who shouted at me today, I'll continue to smile at them even though I'm breaking on the inside. They don't care. They only want to see a mask. And I wear it for them and sing their song and do their dance. Everywhere I go, I wear that mask, and by the end of the day I struggle to remember the face that hides underneath. Sometimes I wonder if there even is a face there, or if it is just a smile plastered on, chipper and gaudy and dripping with insincerity.

Am I insincere? I wonder that as well. When I smile, I think it is real, but is it really?

Sigh.

I've lost my face again. And until I find it in the pile of masks that are strewn all about me, I'll keep smiling like a fool. And maybe then I will believe the lie I smile.

Sincerely,

a faceless me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sam's birth story

dean's list

convos with a prego lady