much needed update
So... it's been awhile. And since it's fall break and since I'm tired of studying, I decided to (temporarily) enter the blogosphere and write a few words about life in general.
Life in general is busy. Really busy. And it's going by fast. The semester is about half over for me and David (or is it half begun? In some ways I still feel like I'm trying to get the hang of things (speaking of which, what exactly is a "hang" and how do you get one? They sound like dreadfully helpful objects)). Law school is wonderfully challenging, wonderfully vexing, and very much overwhelming (I'm sure David would say the same about computer science (but maybe not the overwhelming part - he's a rock star when it comes to juggling things (both literally and metaphorically)). I'd like to say that law school is a piece of cake, but that is very much a lie. Instead, imagine that you are in front of a mountain of cakes. You are excited to taste said cakes (after all, cake is delightful (especially the frosting)) and cannot wait to take a bite or two. But you are then instructed to eat all of the cake. Not just a piece or two, but every single crumb of every single cake in the mountain. Not only that, but once you start eating, more and more cakes are added to the pile and you are told that you must eat those, too. You get to the point where you can't even taste the cake anymore, eating it becomes so mechanical. But every now and again, there are bites that are still tantalizing and that remind you of why cake is so great. And because of those bites, you are able to keep shoveling it in, even when it becomes dreadfully painful to do so.
Anyways, I'll let the metaphor rest (I was going to keep going with it and mention something about how you're supposed to remember every single cake you eat by its taste and obscure ingredients. Or that you're expected to eat your cake faster than everyone else. But I'll stop there. I don't want to ruin cake for you). That doesn't mean that I don't like law school. There's just a lot to read and remember. And I really am grateful for this opportunity. My eyes have been opened and I feel like I am seeing the world for the first time (which is both a good and a bad thing - more on that to come, I promise).
Other than that, David started working for these people on top of going to school. I think he's pretty neat (he actually is quite clean. We have since discovered that I am the messy one who sheds my hair like a camel (note: I don't know if camels actually shed. But they do spit. And occasionally if I laugh hard enough while I am eating/drinking, that happens, too)).
Anyways... I'll leave it at that. I must now return to eating cake (since everyone knows that the best time to eat cake is over fall break when you would much rather eat pie. Or not eat anything at all - I'm a little stuffed).
Until next blogging! Bon appetit!
This makes me think of some wise words from Shrek: "CAKE! Everybody likes cake!" "Donkey, ogres are NOT like cakes."
ReplyDeleteIt also makes me think of Matilda and the scene of Bruce Bogtrotter eating cake. For that reference I blame Josh because he quotes it all the time and maybe David does too? "You can do it Brucie!"
"You can do it Jessica!!"
OH Jess. I love you so. :) Good luck with all that cake!
ReplyDeleteLiz - Matilda did cross my mind when I came up with the cake analogy, although I don't think David has quoted it too often... maybe he's quoting it and I don't realize it - I'll have to start paying more attention :). (I also love that you used Bruce's entire name - I forgot how awesome it was :)).
ReplyDeleteAnd Whitney! I love you, too! I hope you and Mark are doing well!