apologies
I apologize for the lack of posts this past month. It's not that I haven't been writing. Instead, I've tried to be prudent and not publish angry material. Maybe someday I will show my angry response to a job interview, but for now I think it wisest to keep that to myself, along with my other law school grievances (although some of those will inevitably slip through the cracks in the coming days/weeks/months (and to be honest, they really aren't that grievous. I think law school has helped me to be even better at complaining)).
As far as law school is concerned (because I'm sure you're probably wondering what's up, seeing I've gagged myself into silence for the last month), things are going better than they seem like they are to me. I hate saying that, but in confessing my disgruntledness to myself, I've realized I have been so ungrateful for all of the help people have given me and for how nice everyone has been. So, below is the gratitude list I should have been keeping up throughout the month, but failed to because law school blinded me from seeing how awesome life is and people are. I think the reason I have been so ornery is because I haven't been reasonably thankful and instead have been wanton and reckless in my grateful behavior (this is my shout-out to criminal law, since it is unlikely that I am going to read for class today or tomorrow). Anyways, here's a short list of all the things I'm grateful for:
My classmates. Seriously. Most of them probably don't know who I am, but I am grateful for those that do and that take the time to listen to me, both with my crazy legal analysis (since I'm usually a little out there) and my complaints about job interviews. Not only that, but a couple of my classmates found out it was my birthday a few weeks ago and brought cupcakes to one of my classes. It really meant a lot to me, and I feel super lucky to know so many awesome and friendly people. I think my gratitude for my classmates is further compounded by the fact that everyone tells you that law school is like a gladiator pit and only the fiercest will survive. That is NOT the case at my school. I am so stinking grateful that everyone is collegial and that if there are class jerks,I don't know them (either because I am too oblivious to notice who is rude or because I am the class jerk. I suppose both could be possibilities).
Mia familia. They are rockstars through and through (and not just because my dad, sister, and brother all play the drums). I am grateful that they take the time to listen to me and to check up on me to see how I am doing. Also, the use of their laundry facilities is quite wonderful. Plus, playing Apples to Apples brings me great joy, especially since we're all s'darn funny.
David's family. Though I don't really know if they are actual rockstars, I am grateful that David's family is so friendly and welcoming and awesome. Family game nights are a hoot and a holler and help me to forget how stressed I am. Huzzah for Telestrations and the randomness that ensues!
The hospital. I love being at the hospital each week. It is so wonderful to be able to check all of my worries at the door (because let's be honest, my worries about law school are minuscule when compared to the cancer patients we routinely visit). Plus, the people we work with are fantastic.
My brother. I am so grateful that Jake is serving a mission and that he's nice enough to write me a couple of lines every week. He's doing so many great things, and his example helps me to work harder and be more diligent.
The temple. I love to see the temple, and I'm grateful that there are so many so close by. Like the hospital, it's a place where I can check all of my law school concerns at the door. Though that doesn't always happen (since sometimes I am the definition of bad stress), it is still wonderful to be in such a quiet place where all is calm and bright.
Nice people. I've had a really frustrating time searching for jobs (as I've probably alluded to throughout this post), but there have been so many nice friends and family members who have taken the time out of their busy schedules to brainstorm new job searching tactics with me and have also referred me to their friends and comrades in the law. Though my quest for summer employment isn't over yet, it means a lot to me that I am not alone in this process.
Gospel truths. President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Things will work out, it isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in him, if we pray to him, if we live worthy of his blessings, he will hear our prayers." Though that's something I forget on a regular basis, I am grateful that no matter what happens, I am never alone.
Nancy Drew. Laugh if you will, but I am grateful for strong female characters who help to remind me that just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't be an awesome person.
This guy. Not only does he put up with me and the roller coaster that I am, but he does nice things (like buy me flowers and watch Jane Eyre with me) and helps me to remember that I am not a bad person on the many Crydays that I have (i.e. Crydays used to be when I'd break down on Fridays from all of the legal stress that built up throughout the week. Now they happen at random, and part of me is grateful they are no longer just a weekend occurrence (although it would be nice if they happened less often)). Plus, he's funny and smart and just plain great, and works harder than anyone I know. I'm rather grateful that we've been best friends for so long and that we will be best friends for even longer.
Look for more posts in the coming days! Maybe writing is the therapy I need to limit the number of Crydays I have. In any event, I'm going to go finish a paper... Wish me luck!
As far as law school is concerned (because I'm sure you're probably wondering what's up, seeing I've gagged myself into silence for the last month), things are going better than they seem like they are to me. I hate saying that, but in confessing my disgruntledness to myself, I've realized I have been so ungrateful for all of the help people have given me and for how nice everyone has been. So, below is the gratitude list I should have been keeping up throughout the month, but failed to because law school blinded me from seeing how awesome life is and people are. I think the reason I have been so ornery is because I haven't been reasonably thankful and instead have been wanton and reckless in my grateful behavior (this is my shout-out to criminal law, since it is unlikely that I am going to read for class today or tomorrow). Anyways, here's a short list of all the things I'm grateful for:
My classmates. Seriously. Most of them probably don't know who I am, but I am grateful for those that do and that take the time to listen to me, both with my crazy legal analysis (since I'm usually a little out there) and my complaints about job interviews. Not only that, but a couple of my classmates found out it was my birthday a few weeks ago and brought cupcakes to one of my classes. It really meant a lot to me, and I feel super lucky to know so many awesome and friendly people. I think my gratitude for my classmates is further compounded by the fact that everyone tells you that law school is like a gladiator pit and only the fiercest will survive. That is NOT the case at my school. I am so stinking grateful that everyone is collegial and that if there are class jerks,I don't know them (either because I am too oblivious to notice who is rude or because I am the class jerk. I suppose both could be possibilities).
![]() |
| This isn't even the funniest game of Telestrations, but it was still pretty great. |
David's family. Though I don't really know if they are actual rockstars, I am grateful that David's family is so friendly and welcoming and awesome. Family game nights are a hoot and a holler and help me to forget how stressed I am. Huzzah for Telestrations and the randomness that ensues!
The hospital. I love being at the hospital each week. It is so wonderful to be able to check all of my worries at the door (because let's be honest, my worries about law school are minuscule when compared to the cancer patients we routinely visit). Plus, the people we work with are fantastic.
My brother. I am so grateful that Jake is serving a mission and that he's nice enough to write me a couple of lines every week. He's doing so many great things, and his example helps me to work harder and be more diligent.
The temple. I love to see the temple, and I'm grateful that there are so many so close by. Like the hospital, it's a place where I can check all of my law school concerns at the door. Though that doesn't always happen (since sometimes I am the definition of bad stress), it is still wonderful to be in such a quiet place where all is calm and bright.Nice people. I've had a really frustrating time searching for jobs (as I've probably alluded to throughout this post), but there have been so many nice friends and family members who have taken the time out of their busy schedules to brainstorm new job searching tactics with me and have also referred me to their friends and comrades in the law. Though my quest for summer employment isn't over yet, it means a lot to me that I am not alone in this process.
Gospel truths. President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Things will work out, it isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in him, if we pray to him, if we live worthy of his blessings, he will hear our prayers." Though that's something I forget on a regular basis, I am grateful that no matter what happens, I am never alone.
Nancy Drew. Laugh if you will, but I am grateful for strong female characters who help to remind me that just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I can't be an awesome person.
This guy. Not only does he put up with me and the roller coaster that I am, but he does nice things (like buy me flowers and watch Jane Eyre with me) and helps me to remember that I am not a bad person on the many Crydays that I have (i.e. Crydays used to be when I'd break down on Fridays from all of the legal stress that built up throughout the week. Now they happen at random, and part of me is grateful they are no longer just a weekend occurrence (although it would be nice if they happened less often)). Plus, he's funny and smart and just plain great, and works harder than anyone I know. I'm rather grateful that we've been best friends for so long and that we will be best friends for even longer.Look for more posts in the coming days! Maybe writing is the therapy I need to limit the number of Crydays I have. In any event, I'm going to go finish a paper... Wish me luck!

Maybe I should do a list like this too. :) Thanks for the awesome reminder of everything I'm grateful for! In my family we don't play drums, but I bought my mom a cowbell and so she plays that. Rockstar-ish? Probably. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so great! YOU are so great! And I am so grateful we are friends even if we don't see/talk to each other nearly enough. Thanks for uplifting me through your example and words! :)
ReplyDelete