legal reactions
I have recently acquired a new hobby. It is not necessarily a sport or event, but rather an entertaining pastime that allows me to guffaw and snort (inwardly) on occasion.
I tell people I want to go to law school.
See, I told you it's not a daredevil sport! I have recently discovered, however, that I am out of the loop on what are "normal" and "abnormal" dreams for young, female, Mormon, and unmarried students. A couple of nights ago I dreamed about chinchillas trying to escape from the zoo (they were trying to lower themselves out of their cage with bedsheets. It was epic). I was told that such thoughts are abnormal and cause for concern. But law school? Seriously, people! It's not like I'm trying to help your chinchilla escape!
On that note, here are some reactions I have received (for the better and for the worse). I hope you guffaw and snort (inwardly) as loud as I do.
I tell people I want to go to law school.
See, I told you it's not a daredevil sport! I have recently discovered, however, that I am out of the loop on what are "normal" and "abnormal" dreams for young, female, Mormon, and unmarried students. A couple of nights ago I dreamed about chinchillas trying to escape from the zoo (they were trying to lower themselves out of their cage with bedsheets. It was epic). I was told that such thoughts are abnormal and cause for concern. But law school? Seriously, people! It's not like I'm trying to help your chinchilla escape!
On that note, here are some reactions I have received (for the better and for the worse). I hope you guffaw and snort (inwardly) as loud as I do.
- "That's great! But wait a second... you are an English major? Can you do that?" (aka "Are you qualified to think logically enough for that?")
- "Why? You're an English major! You are supposed to be a teacher!" (at least they didn't say I am doomed to flip burgers for the rest of my life. I despise that supposed career trajectory).
- "I don't think that's such a good idea. You should work on getting married and plan on supporting your husband through school." (Yes, someone actually said this to me. I was too much in shock to guffaw or snort (inwardly). Instead, I sat dumbfounded).
- "Awesome! That's so great! You know, my family-member works on such-and-such school's admissions committee. I'll see if I can put a good word in for you."
- "That's so great! I actually work on the admissions committee. If you need help, please let me know." (I was actually rather excited about this one...).
- "Network! Network! Network! Then you can work for a big corporation and have a great salary! Or you can work for the state department and rise in the ranks to become an ambassador. BUT. Keep in mind that your eternal salvation is at stake. You really should be getting married."
Comments
Post a Comment