liar, liar, pants on fire
I am a liar.
No, seriously. Today at work I was talking to a concerned parent who was filling out her son's admissions application (Note: I could go on a rant about how student's should be independent and self-reliant, but I can't without being the fattest hypocrite known to man...). After getting through all of the pleasantries, we had a nice discussion about the availability date of the Spring term application.
Me: The application should be available online.
Her: No, the website says October 15.
Me: Are you sure? It really should be available online.
Her: Well, if it's not available online, will it be available on October 15?
Me: Of course it will be available October 15 (*Insert eyeroll and "duh!" exclamation here*). If it's available now, then rest assured that it will still be available October 15.
Her: Sigh. Thanks for your help.
Me: You're welcome! Have a great day!
After hanging up the phone, I dashed over to my supervisor's desk and asked her, "So, when is the Spring application available?" Her answer: "Isn't it already available?" I cheered and started doing my victory dance (because the supers honestly and truly know everything), while she double checked with another office. I would have kept dancing, too, except for the fact that she stopped me mid-leap.
"We're wrong. That overly protective, helicopter hovering, insistently persistent parent was right."
Oh the horror! I was crest-fallen. "You mean I lied?"
Luckily my co-worker was there to save my ego. "No, you didn't lie. You were just misinformed."
Yeah. Okay. The next time I tell an itsy-bitsy-eensy-weeny white lie and then fess up to it later, I'll just use that as my cop-out. "Yeah, sorry that I stole your toe jam, Nathan. Edna said I could borrow it for my toast. I was just misinformed."
Yup, definitely a nice way to burn my pants.
No, seriously. Today at work I was talking to a concerned parent who was filling out her son's admissions application (Note: I could go on a rant about how student's should be independent and self-reliant, but I can't without being the fattest hypocrite known to man...). After getting through all of the pleasantries, we had a nice discussion about the availability date of the Spring term application.
Me: The application should be available online.
Her: No, the website says October 15.
Me: Are you sure? It really should be available online.
Her: Well, if it's not available online, will it be available on October 15?
Me: Of course it will be available October 15 (*Insert eyeroll and "duh!" exclamation here*). If it's available now, then rest assured that it will still be available October 15.
Her: Sigh. Thanks for your help.
Me: You're welcome! Have a great day!
After hanging up the phone, I dashed over to my supervisor's desk and asked her, "So, when is the Spring application available?" Her answer: "Isn't it already available?" I cheered and started doing my victory dance (because the supers honestly and truly know everything), while she double checked with another office. I would have kept dancing, too, except for the fact that she stopped me mid-leap.
"We're wrong. That overly protective, helicopter hovering, insistently persistent parent was right."
Oh the horror! I was crest-fallen. "You mean I lied?"
Luckily my co-worker was there to save my ego. "No, you didn't lie. You were just misinformed."
Yeah. Okay. The next time I tell an itsy-bitsy-eensy-weeny white lie and then fess up to it later, I'll just use that as my cop-out. "Yeah, sorry that I stole your toe jam, Nathan. Edna said I could borrow it for my toast. I was just misinformed."
Yup, definitely a nice way to burn my pants.
Comments
Post a Comment