adulterated verse
I just workshopped this poem in my poetry class. While it was unnerving to have 30 critical eyes review my work, I was (dare I say it?) quite amused by their interpretation of my sonnet. Who knew that a poem about a girl watching a hurricane could simultaneously be about a pregnant adulterous who is finally mourning her sins? I sure didn't. In fact, I was astounded as nearly half the class began to find adulterating evidence scattered throughout my poem. But hey! I have to give it to them for their creativity. Though none of the gestationally themed phrases or words were intended, I am impressed at how well their interpretation works. Here are some of my favorite comments/ideas that were shared:
Line 1: an allusion to Christ forgiving the woman caught in adultery
Line 8: what I thought was a cool word gave credence to their reading
Line 11: obviously a reference to childbirth
Line 11: "falling rain" as a symbol for breaking water
Line 12: "heavy" referring to "being big with child"
Line 14: "muted" giving credence to the idea that the adulterous was paid to keep her silence
3 stanzas: representing the 3 trimesters of pregnancy
Though it works well, I dare say I will revise my poem. Who knows? Maybe their reading is better than anything else I can come up with. Still, I'd like to avoid the scarlet letter on my poetics. One Hester is enough for me.
Line 1: an allusion to Christ forgiving the woman caught in adultery
Line 8: what I thought was a cool word gave credence to their reading
Line 11: obviously a reference to childbirth
Line 11: "falling rain" as a symbol for breaking water
Line 12: "heavy" referring to "being big with child"
Line 14: "muted" giving credence to the idea that the adulterous was paid to keep her silence
3 stanzas: representing the 3 trimesters of pregnancy
Though it works well, I dare say I will revise my poem. Who knows? Maybe their reading is better than anything else I can come up with. Still, I'd like to avoid the scarlet letter on my poetics. One Hester is enough for me.
Comments
Post a Comment