i am here, i am here

"There's a monster, Daddy,"
the child whimpered, hidden
under tossed and tousled sheets.
"There, in the darkness, Daddy,
hiding, hiding, hiding."
Daddy came, strong and warm,
holding the child in darkness,
tucking the blankets, warm
and safe, beneath a quivering
chin, whispering, whispering,
whispering. Stroking softly,
he spoke with quietness,
rocking, rocking, rocking.
"The monsters come, and
they may hide, and they'll
want you to cry and be afraid.
But while I'm here, there
is no need for tears and sorrow,
because I am here, I am here.
But when I'm gone, moments
from now, remember that I'll
be here to scare them away.
I'll hold you close, and tuck
you in, and sing softly, softly,
softly. And someday when I
am old, a long time from now,
when the monsters come
looking for me, you must come
to hold me close, and tuck me
in, and sing softly, softly, softly."
The child nodded slowly, eyes
drooping, falling into darkness.
The father sat for moments
more, kissing the child's head
tenderly. Standing up, walking
out, looking back, he whispered
once more into the darkness.
"I am here, I am here."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sam's birth story

dean's list

convos with a prego lady