ambiguity
ambiguity: noun: 1. use of words that allow for multiple definitions; 2. Vagueness, deceptiveness; 3. BYU's Honor Code.
things that just don't make sense:
things that just don't make sense:
- you can wear a sports bra to go jogging on campus but you cannot wear a modest two-piece swim suit.
- you can sunbathe in a modest swim suit, but only within the confines of on-campus housing (if you sunbathe next to a busy road, visiting general authorities may see you).
- you must follow the rules for respecting the opposite gender as outlined in the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet, but PDA is unlimited (seriously...).
- and what about hand holding? cuddling during class? kissing? all of the above on campus? no specific rules forbidding any of that.
- you can have a mustache, but not a beard.
- you cannot have sideburns longer than your earlobes, but if you have super bad acne, or if your face swells up when you shave, or if your religion is outdated, or if you have a super awesome scar, you can have a beard permit card, which must be carried on your person at all times.
- and don't get me started on the curfew rules...
In short, I am starting a BYU rebellion: I am going to go jogging in a sports bra with a cougar embroidered across the front, hold hands with the first person I see regardless of their gender, buy some Rogaine to grow a beard long enough to cover my neck whiskers, and go sunbathing in a sunbonnet by the main campus road.

Please be sure to take pictures of you sunbathing with your sunbonnet. I would love to add them to your scrapbook. What scrapbook you say? :)
ReplyDeleteAny gender?
ReplyDeleteHow will you embroider the cougar? Maybe you could crochet a cougar-decorated-sports-bra instead of having to go to the trouble of trying to stitch polyester material.
ReplyDeleteI think I should note the fact that I have no idea if sports bras are polyester, I just guessed. I only learned what exactly a sports bra is about an hour ago. Okay, shutting up :)
ReplyDeleteYour dad's comment makes me laugh. Haha! And I like that David is familiar with the specifics of embroidery. Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you and I have now witnessed first-hand something worse than cuddling in class: cuddling in the temple? It seems that those in Provo have no boundaries.... sigh.
PS. I thoroughly enjoy your posts from before you were roommates with Eliza/Heidi/etc. They bring me much entertainment. :)
Double PS. Ambiguity is my favorite word. I forgot to mention that. So, yeah.... :) I enjoyed finding a post titled after my favorite word. :)
ReplyDelete