dear abby...

I was going to ask your advice about how to deal with an inconsiderate acquaintance who finds the need to confide in me during the late hours of the night. But I found the solution to my problem before I could stick a postage stamp on the envelope. I am sending this to you now to publish so that maybe others like me won't have to suffer through internal feelings of annoyance and impatience.

Like me, this acquaintance has recently moved away from her family for the first time. As a part-time Narcissist, I never stopped to realize that this abrupt move might cause her to feel insecure and maybe even alone. I've come to realize over the past two weeks the importance of a familiar face or even voice. Having someone recognize you as a person rather than as just another body is important.

Through my own experiences and by listening to her, it is clear to me how much she, and everyone for that matter, need someone who they can talk to. Her issues and concerns may seem trivial to me, but to her, they could be a burden, a load that would be much easier to carry if it were shared with someone else. Though I'm not the best listener at times, I've come to realize that having the ability to confide in a friend makes all the difference during stressful times.

Abby (and any other readers), if you learn but one thing from my letter, it is this: Listen when you can; love when you can't. At the times when I can't listen to her (or, in other cases, when I truly have no desire to hear what she has to say), I need to love her instead, even at the moments it is most difficult.

Sincerely,

a learning friend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sam's birth story

dean's list

convos with a prego lady