sleepovers in the kitchen

Another thing I don't understand (I don't condemn it, but I honestly and truly don't understand it):

Having sleepovers in the kitchen. And by sleepover, I mean moving one's mattress to the un-swept, un-mopped, food-splattered floor in order to sleep for the night. Not only that, but creating a fort to sleep in by duct taping sheets to the walls. Sounds like fun, right?

One of my roommates asked me today why I didn't plan on going to the dance tonight (a nice way of asking, "Why are you such a party pooper?") My answer: "I don't like people." Taken aback, she asked, "Well, what about me?" I cheekily answered with a smile, "You are not people. You are a person." She didn't argue further.

Let me explain. I'm not trying to be antisocial (okay, maybe I am). But I'm starting to value certain things I never really thought that much about before, like sleep (Sleep! O glorious sleep!) and quiet time. It's not that I don't want to be crazy and fun. I like being crazy. I like being fun. It just so happens that my crazy fun time comes at 3 in the afternoon, not 3 in the morning.

Last night a part of me woke up at 11. I was random. It was wonderful. And it surprised my roommates. I think I've been labeled quiet and studious and therefore there is no possibility that I could be random or funny or crazy in any manner. But I can be. I just have to be me according to my own schedule.

So forgive me if I pass up on the sleepovers in the kitchen and don't flirt with every boy I see. It's not because I don't like you, it's because I'd rather be like me.

Comments

  1. I like your quote a lot. "You are not people. You are a person." I think that describes the way you feel around people, or persons, very well. I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

sam's birth story

dean's list

convos with a prego lady